German Shorthaired Pointer Puppies For Sale
All of our German Shorthaired Pointer puppies for sale in Mississippi have been independently screened and certified.
German Shorthaired Pointers Puppies makes the perfect addition to any active family. They are extremely loveable, fantastic with children, and filled with the energy they are eager to exert on any adventure. If a German Shorthaired Pointer Puppy can burn their energy with a structured activity outside, or any activity really, with their best friend at their side, they are happy as can be.
To learn more about the German Shorthaired Pointer, this video will teach you about this special dog breed:
German Shorthaired Pointer Puppies For Sale In PA
About Our German Shorthaired Pointer Puppies For Sale In Mississippi
Top 5 Advantages of German Shorthaired Pointers Puppies
- German Shorthaired Pointers are amazing family dogs thanks to their gentle demeanor, with a reputation of being fantastic around children.
- German Shorthaired Pointers are also extremely lovable with their family. They may need a lot of exercise, but at the end of an active day, they just want to snuggle with their family.
- Very intelligent and eager to please their owner, German Shorthaired Pointers Puppies are highly trainable across countless environments.
- Perfect adventure or exercise buddies, German Shorthaired Pointers are up for anything and everything that lets them exert their impressive energy.
- Known as skilled hunting companions, German Shorthaired Pointers can do far more than just tricks in the living room or run an obstacle course.
Cost/Colors of German Shorthaired Pointers Puppies
As compared to other breeds with a wide variety of coats available, German Shorthaired Pointers tend not to vary much in price across the different colors or patterns they may have. Instead, German Shorthaired Pointers Puppies are differentiated in price based on whether the litter has been bred from a hunting/show lineage or simply as family companions.
If you are looking for a trainable, lovable family dog, without the desire for a hunting or show bloodline, you can expect to pay anywhere from $800 to $1000 for your German Shorthaired Pointer pup. For those excited to have a hunting buddy or show dog, you pay the price of the bloodline and/or training, which could cost you between $3000-$4000.
Though that price may seem steep if you think about the extensive training that is required for a trusted hunting dog – all of the time and energy that training takes – the price starts to justify itself.
German Shorthaired Pointers Puppies are considered a medium-sized breed, perfect to cuddle on the couch or jump into the car for an adventure. As is true with any breed, the size of a German Shorthaired Pointer differs by gender.
Male German Shorthaired Pointers stand 23 to 25 inches tall and weigh around 55-70 pounds. Females are smaller, standing 21 to 23 inches tall with an average weight of 45-60 pounds.
Whether you are looking for a show dog, hunting companion, or lovable addition to your family, German Shorthaired Pointers are fantastic puppies to bring home. Check out some of the athletic pups currently available by submitting an application today!
History of the German Shorthaired Pointer Breed
The German Shorthaired Pointer (GSP) is a breed that has been around since the 1800s. Developed for a purpose, these dogs were created by hunters and gunmen in Germany as gundogs and hunting dogs to find and retrieve prey. The GSP is a versatile hunting dog that can successfully hunt many different animals, including deer and rabbits, but primarily birds. They were developed to help track down the game, and once it’s located, the dogs will instinctively point with their muzzles in the direction of their prey!
There are three types of German Shorthaired Pointer: retrievers who try hard at getting their quarries back if lost; flushers, who rely more on chasing prey than pointing it out; and pointers, who identify the location of the prey for the hunter.
During World War II, the GSP breed was almost entirely lost. Thankfully, a few breeders escaped from Germany with their dogs, although it was challenging to bring back breeding standards after the war. The GSP first came to America in the 1920s, and its popularity skyrocketed from there.
The German Shorthaired Pointer is a versatile hunting dog that’s also known for its athletic abilities. It was voted the 9th most popular American Kennel Club (AKC) breed of all time! They make great athletes, but these dogs are more than just athlete-hunters; they’ll be happy to curl up next to you on any couch or join in an active game of fetch anytime.
The Top 5 Disadvantages of the German Shorthaired Pointer
- The German Shorthaired Pointer is a high-energy dog who requires lots of exercise and mental stimulation; think at least 30 minutes a day of running! Combine this trait with the GSP’s intelligence, and you have a dog who will quickly become bored and redirect his energy into unwanted behaviors, such as excessive barking, destructive chewing, or hyperactivity. If you can’t give a German Shorthaired Pointer puppy the time and room to run and roam that he needs, this may not be the dog for you.
- The German Shorthaired Pointer typically has a high prey drive as a hunting dog, meaning they are instinctually triggered to chase small animals. This trait may not bode well if you own small pets, such as ferrets, rabbits, guinea pigs, or small cats. For the safety of your pets, you may have to find a more low-key dog for your family.
- Because the GSP is such a loyal companion, this dog does have higher incidences of separation anxiety from its pup parent. The dog’s world revolves around you, and GSPs, in particular, are magnets when it comes to being by their owner’s side. If you are away from home daily for significant amounts of time, the GSP may become more anxious and engage in destructive behaviors.
- The German Shorthaired Pointer is smart — but also stubborn, willful, and easily distracted. This breed does have a mind of its own and often perfects the art of “selective listening.” At other times, the GSP may be so distracted by an interesting scent or sight that he ignores you. Early training and socialization are a must for this breed, but a patient, consistent, and positive pup parent is even more so. If you don’t have those qualities to train your GSP, choose a different dog breed.
- A German Shorthair is a healthy large dog breed but is still susceptible to genetic health complications, such as epilepsy, bloat, cancer, and joint disease. Annual visits to the veterinarian and a pet insurance policy can help if your GSP dog develops these conditions.
Need more information about German Shorthaired Pointer puppies for sale in MS?
We make it simple when you are looking for Mississippi German Shorthaired Pointer breeders.
Does Preferable Pups have German Shorthaired Pointer puppies for sale in Mississippi?
Here at Preferable Pups, we work extra hard to only add the best section of German Shorthaired Pointer dog breeders and puppies in Mississippi. If you are on puppy finder and don’t see a puppy for sale in Mississippi, click “Apply” and we will find one.
How does Preferable Pups screen German Shorthaired Pointer breeders in Mississippi?
We have 100’s of breeder requests each week. We use PawFax to verify our German Shorthaired Pointers in Mississippi. With only the best breeders allowed in the Preferable Pups community, you have nothing to worry about when looking for your new best friend. Learn about our industry-leading process for screening the health of puppies. How It Works
Do you have German Shorthaired Pointer puppies for sale near me in Mississippi?
Yes! Preferable Pups is always adding new fully screened and healthy German Shorthaired Pointer puppies. We have German Shorthaired Pointer puppies for sale all over Mississippi and the surrounding areas within our Preferable Pups family of breeders. If you’re looking for German Shorthaired Pointer Mississippi, you came to the right place.
What if the German Shorthaired Pointer puppy I want is not in Mississippi? Will you ship?
When you search for German Shorthaired Pointer breeders in Mississippi you will see each breeder has been asked to provide several pieces of information. One of the things we asked them to provide, is travel details. Travel arrangements will be clearly defined in each breeder’s biography. Of course, it’s always best to pick your puppy up in person but if that’s not convenient travel arrangements can most likely be made.
What’s the price of German Shorthaired Pointer puppies for sale in MS?
There’s no set price for German Shorthaired Pointer puppies for sale in Mississippi. Pricing is determined by the unique attributes of each particular puppy. These attributes include sex, temperament, coloring, and more importantly, breeder experience. You won’t go wrong using Preferable Pups when looking for Mississippi German Shorthaired Pointer.